The Brain Is A Complex Network That Powers The Body
The brain is undeniably the most vital structure in the human body. Comprised of three major components – the cerebrum, cerebellum, and brainstem – it embodies our very existence. Our ability to execute basic body functions, process thoughts and emotions, and assume a personality is controlled by the brain. In other words, we are able to function in our daily environment because our brain works correctly, free from disorders or conditions.
Leading Cranial Care
When your brain is affected by a disorder, trauma, or abnormality, our New Jersey brain surgery physicians employ strategic and personalized cranial care promptly to get you back on track. We specialize in treating cranial conditions that include: aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations.
- Brain Tumors – These cancerous tumors can cause severe disruptions in brain functionality and are characterized as primary malignant or metastatic.
- Craniopharyngioma– This is a benign (noncancerous) brain tumor that develops at the base of the brain near the pituitary stalk.
- Glioblastoma – This is a type of high-grade astrocytoma primary in nature with the potential to metastasize, causing seizures, memory loss, and headaches.
- Hydrocephalus – An irregular accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) that surrounds the brain and spinal cord results in severe pressure and swelling.
- Meningiomas – Commonly benign, this type of brain tumor derives from the lining of the brain and spinal cord, characterized by loss of coordination, seizure, and vision problems.
- Pituitary Tumors – These tumors are common in both males and females, ages 30 and older, and is a threat to the pituitary gland responsible for normal hormone production.
- Trigeminal Neuralgia – This disorder affects the fifth (trigeminal) cranial nerve as it transmits painful, electric shocks to areas involving the forehead, face, and jaw.
- Vestibular Schwannoma – Known as acoustic neuroma, this condition involves the growth of a benign tumor at the surface of the vestibular cochlear nerve located behind the ear.
- Chiari Malformation – This condition causes muscle weakness, dizziness, and headaches characterized by structural defects in the cerebellum.
- Aneurysms – Ruptures and severe hemorrhages can occur due to a ballooning of a portion of the arterial wall due to pressure and weakness.
- Movement Disorders – Parkinson’s disease, Dystonia, Essential Tremor and Restless Leg Syndrome are neurological syndromes characterized by an excess of movement.
Advanced Neurosurgical Techniques
Dr. David Poulad and Dr. Adam Lipson utilize cutting-edge neurosurgical treatment technology and personalized care to promote an enhanced, less painful recovery. We are dedicated to delivering a healthy long-term outcome for every patient. Highly educated and trained, our distinguished neurosurgeons in New Jersey perform precision procedures that include:
- Deep Brain Stimulation – DBS is used to treat the symptoms of progressive movement disorders like Parkinson’s disease by the implantation of a brain pacemaker.
- Ventricular Catheter/Shunt – The catheter is placed in the cerebral ventricles to obstruct and drain excess CSF into surrounding body cavities for reabsorption.
- Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy – CSF is redirected into neighboring structures for obstruction release in certain patients whose anatomy allows for the creation of an opening in the third ventricle.
- Transsphenoidal Surgery – It is performed through the nose and sphenoid sinus with microscope or endoscope to remove tumors from the pituitary gland to reestablish normal hormone balance.
- Transcranial Surgery – It is executed through the skull to remove large pituitary tumors that would otherwise be impossible to remove through transsphenoidal surgery.
- Microvascular Decompression – Utilized in patients with trigeminal neuralgia to accurately isolate blood vessels from the nerve for pressure relief, eliminating pain.
- CyberKnife Radiosurgery – A state-of-the-art radiosurgical device, it is used to treat tumors and lesions in structures including the brain and spine without the use of a surgical knife.
Committed To A New Tomorrow
Search no further for expert cranial treatment. The IGEA Brain & Spine, P.A. team commits to improving your brain health at every turn. Discover what our New Jersey neurosurgery physicians can do for you. Let’s work on a new tomorrow together.